Information for the Public

Patient information and leaflets

There is a wealth of information for patients with special care needs available on the internet or from providers of dental services.

Click here for a selection of the patient information resources we have found

How to find your local Salaried Primary Care Dental Service / Community Dental Service

This service is provided by Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) in England, Local Health Boards in Wales, and Health Boards in Scotland and Northern Ireland. It employs staff to provide dental care for adults and children unable to obtain it from a high street family dental practice.

Formerly known as the Community Dental Service, the service is located in community health centres, and occasionally some hospitals. Eligibility to use it is variable and depends on local arrangements. Usually included are people with disabilities, medical problems or others who have difficulty accessing NHS dental care.

You can find the phone number of your local PCT or Health Board:

  • On the internet: visit NHS Choices (UK coverage), or
  • Phone your local PCT / Health Board Headquarters and ask for the Dental Services Office (either "Community Dental Services" or "Dental Public Health")
  • Yellow Pages: look under "Health Authorities" for your local PCT / Health Board 


Bringing together all those interested in the oral care of people with disabilities

Privacy Policy  |  Accessibility  |  Help  |  Terms and Conditions